Portfolio GE Healthcare Patient Information Viewer

GE Healthcare Patient Information Viewer

As a team of 5 MHCI students, alongside our client GE Healthcare, we designed a new tool to enable doctors to quickly and easily analyze a patient’s medical history. Our design process culminated in the production of a functional HTML prototype (available below), a research report highlighting the findings of our interviews with doctors and other hospital staff, a design report detailing all aspects of our process and final product, and a videosketch depicting a future direction for patient information viewing. Our final design ideas were split into two camps (with many ideas overlapping both) - those which GE’s engineers deemed currently feasible, and those which may later be feasible. The latter comprised our “Vision” for future development.

See the HTML prototype (optimized for Google Chrome)

Research

Our process began in January, starting with a kickoff meeting with the client. We quickly jumped in to the research phase of our project, conducting competitive reviews, analysis of relevant literature, and familiarizing ourselves with the client’s current products. At the same time, we were heading out into the field, interviewing doctors, nurses and other hospital staff at their places of work to gain a better understand of what not only the information needs are, but also the context in which the application would be used. In May we presented the client with a comprehensive overview of all our research findings, and the design directions we felt were appropriate based on those findings, in both a presentation as well as a research report.

Design

Having narrowed our focus through meetings with client stakeholders, we began the design process. We decided on the components we thought the application would need, and began by paper prototyping each. We moved from paper prototypes to medium fidelity prototypes (Adobe Flash Catalyst and HTML) and finally to an HTML prototype that contained all the components together, as well as complete visual styling. In each prototype phase we conducted usability tests and iterated our design based on feedback. To help fill in some of the knowledge gaps that arose during this phase, we held participatory design sessions with doctors who helped answer any lingering questions. By the end of July we had a functional HTML prototype that had been put through three rounds of usability testing with doctors, as well as a list of features that were excluded from the prototype as they were deemed by the client to be beyond the scope of their application. These ideas became our “Vision” for future development, which was presented alongside our prototype in our final client meeting. Full explanation of the design and vision, including design rationale, was included in our design report.

Contributions

  • documentation (lead)
  • prototype development (co-lead)
  • user research
  • usability testing
  • design strategy
  • visual design

Download

design report research report